Copyright © Abroad in Germany.
Design by Dzignine
Monday, October 21, 2013

München und die Alpen in Österreich! (20.10.13)

So during my first and a half week of break, I was sick with a sinus infection that wasn't getting any better (and I have a feeling more will come because of the cold air. As much as I don't like saying it, I NEED HUMIDITY!). During the last weekend of Autumn Break.  my host mom took my host sister and I to Bayern or Bavaria. We stayed with a friend of my host mom and it was honestly an incredibly memorable weekend (despite the long and exhausting six hour drive to and from Munich).

München!


Oktoberfest postekarte!
On Saturday, we spent the day in München or Munich and it was just breathtaking.  Seeing Munich for the first time was amazing! The city has such a life force and it was really interesting to hear so many different languages other than German and English, see different people and experience the city. We went to the Lenbachhaus, an art museum, and I had a great time since I love art and art history (thanks to a certain class taught by the best teacher ever!). They had almost an entire floor dedicated to Kandinsky, Franz Marc and The Blue Rider movement (Der Blau Reiter). Es war sehr toll! We then explored the city a bit and shopped, ate (I had these warm, sugar-toasted almonds, called Gebrannte Mandeln, that were perfect!) and afterwards in the night, we walked to a bridge we saw our way in, and apparently it's a big surfing spot! It was interesting to see the 'German' way of surfing being from Florida. 

AND WHO DOESN'T LOVE CITIES AT NIGHT? OH MEIN GOTT <3 

München bei Nacht!
On Sunday, we made the drive down to the Austrian Alps! Honestly, you see the Alps in pictures and on the bottles of Evian water but just seeing it in person was indescribable. I thought the Alps were these white mountains but turns out, they're not white yet, since it hasn't snowed yet but I did see a snow capped alp (and I did get a picture). We went up an alp, courtesy of the Bergbahn (it seemed like something out of a movie for me!). 


SNOW. REAL SNOW.
BUT I SAW SNOW. I FELT SNOW. It wasn't much but it still count! 
The view from the top of the alp was gorgeous! I must have taken hundreds of pictures! 

This weekend was the best way to end Autumn break but unfortunately, I have to go back to school tomorrow! On a positive note, I feel much more comfortable speaking German but only when I can respond In German (if not, I say it auf Englisch). 

I'm currently in the drive back to my host town, and I know I'm going to be exhausted tomorrow, which reminds me, I switched down to the tenth grade (mainly because the eleventh graders are really focused in their studies and I want to enjoy my year than worrying about an Arbitur I won't take but I'm still focusing in school though!). - being exhausted for a day was worth the entire weekend!

Die Stadt Kössen, Österreich! Sehr wunderschön! 

The Alps weren't fully covered with snow since it hasn't started snowing but I saw some!

(I'm going to start a 'Currently Listening to:' deal to see how my music taste changes, I've already started listening to a lot of German music :)


Currently listening to: Bad Intentions by Digital Daggers

0 comments:

Post a Comment